Monday, September 21, 2015

De-stressing with Distress Art!

Welcome to the Stampendous Design Team's Week of Distress!  No, not the bad kind of distress, we're playing with products from Stampendous and Andy Skinner to create some fun Distress Art. There's nothing like playing with art supplies to help me relax. I just love the distressed look on projects, and I love that there are no mistakes in distress projects, you just make it work by adding more layers!  If you really need precision in your creations, this style may not be for you, but you should try it just for the fun of it, you may be pleasantly surprised!

Here my "de-stressing" project for today:


The Stampendous Creative Palette is the perfect way to start a distress project. I used acrylic paints to create various fall backgrounds. I keep a stash of these for when needed, so today I went to my stash and found a piece I could use to stamp and die cut my three oak leaves, CRS5052 Jumbo Leaves and DCS5068 Leaf Die Cut Set.

The background is a piece of green mat board left over from a framing project, distressed with a little red and brown inks, and stamped multiple times with the peeled paint background stamp from Andy Skinner's Industrial set, ASCRS03 in Memento Tuxedo Black.  The final touch was some Spoonful of Rust from Stampendous sprinkled in two corners and heated from below. This takes a little more time because you are heating through mat board.

The middle layer is a piece of Mixed Media White Paper from Stampendous, rouged with various colors of Brilliance and Memento inks (Rust, Rocket Red, Sunflower Yellow, Olive, Ivy, Rich Cocoa and Tuxedo Black). Heat set the inks and sprinkle with the Spoonful of Rust and heat set from below.

The molten looking element under the Autumn layer is from a "mistake" I made when pasting the word Autumn the first time, sprinkling it with aged wine embossing enamel and heating it. The paste had bled under the stencil a little (ok, a lot), but I thought the powder would hide it, it didn't so I scraped it off, but I loved how it looked, so it became an embellishment! Here's a close up:



Paste emboss the Dreamweaver Autumn stencil with Matte Black Embossing Paste on a scrap piece of left over paper from the leaves, let dry or use a heat tool, but be careful or it will bubble.

Layer it all up using glue to hold everything in place, and put it in a pretty frame. I had a lot of fun making this piece, and love that everything can be fixed when you're distressing it anyway!

Today's "distressed" designers are:

Louise Healy

Happy Creating,
Louise

18 comments:

P Beatty said...

Beautiful use of the product!

Shari said...

Very beautiful!

Kristine Reynolds said...

What a lovely piece of art!

barbara macaskill said...

Such a pretty mistake!! I love your background pieces that you created and the colors are just right for fall! TFS!!

Viki Banaszak said...

This looks awesome! I especially love your booboo embellies ;p

Pam Hornschu said...

You really had fun with this, didn't you? Love the bits of Melt Media!

Stampendous said...

A fun falling design. It looks so organic how the leaves are placed around the sentiment and so many wonderful bits of distressing. This really is beautiful Louise. Thank you for sharing!

TracyM #6773 said...

DELIGHTFULLY distressed piece!!!
LOVE your colours, LOVE your textures, it is BEAUTIFUL!!!

Lea said...

Beautiful fall project, Louise! If you get tired of looking at it, I've got just the right spot in my den!

Mary Holshouser said...

Beautiful piece.
It really reflects the spirit of fall.
The dark colors on the leaves look like lots of those in my yard right now.
thanks for sharing a great project.
Illinois

Christine Kiehl said...

This hop just keeps getting better and better! This card is simply outstanding! Reminds me of that line in Robert Frosts poem about "how nothing gold can stay" quoted in the movie "The Outsiders" from the 80's! I am excited to start my own fall crafting now also!

Jean said...

Just wonderful!

Fishlady said...

Gorgeous fall design!

cghundley said...

Great looking piece
you have created.
Lovely colors.
Carla from Utah

D.Ann C said...

Gorgeous project - love the texture and dimension! Florida

Laurinda said...

Thanks for sharing your lovely fall project!

Sue D said...

Beautiful for Autumn--I like your mistake embellishment.
Sue in Ohio

Karen L K said...

Very nice fall look!! The leaves look really great along with the texture to it all.