Thursday, March 10, 2016

Dreaming Mixed Media

Stampendous and Media March 2016 Blog Hop-01


We’re super excited this week to play with our friends at DecoArt. Mixed Media Artist and DecoArt International Education Coordinator,Andy Skinner, has designed some fantastic stamps for Stampendous that we are featuring this week.


Andy will join us along with his team of international mixed media artists including Julia Stratford-Wright, Mark Gould, Mel Hookham, and Jools Robertson. Plus, there will be posts this week on the DecoArt blog as well. The Stampendous Design Team will be having a blast incorporating the wonderful products the generous folks at DecoArt sent us, and pairing them with Andy's great stamps.

Did someone say prizes?!  Of course! Check this out!

blog-prize-package
The FABULOUS Prize Package!
You’ll want to get your commenting fingers ready…so put down your paintbrushes! Each comment on a post this week will enter you to win a prize package! (one comment per post, per person) Contest open to everyone!!

We have THREE packages and each has a Fluid Media Starter Kit, all three of Andy Skinner’s new Stampendous Stamp sets, and a Jumbo Acrylic Handle!!

The piece I'm sharing today combines a variety of products for a "Mixed Media" feel:

"I spy with my little eye..."

  • To start, I washed a 6" x 8" canvas with a combination of Quinacridone Gold and Titan Buff Fluid Acrylics on a wet brush, sweeping across the canvas, then dried with a heat tool
  • Using the Creative Palette as a palette, brayer a thin coat of the same two colors together keeping the color just a little darker than the background, pick up some color on the peeled paint stamp from Andy's Toxic set (ASCRS06) , stamp randomly across the background, or filling the background, wash stamp immediately, dry canvas with a heat tool
  • Use the Creative Palette to brayer a coat of Carbon Black and stamp the designs from Andy's Curiosity set (ASCRS04) around the background, wash stamps immediately, heat set paint on background
  • Place the Dreamweaver Steampunk Clock Stencil DWLX7018) on the canvas near the left edge, using removable tape to hold it in place, apply a coat of Matte Black Embossing Paste, remove stencil and place in water for cleaning later, randomly sprinkle some aged taupe and aged bronze embossing enamels on some pasted areas, tap off excess, heat with a heat tool to set the enamels and puff the paste a little
  • Use your finger to apply thin swipes of Metallic Copper Embossing Paste around the background, sprinkle with the enamels, heat
  • Apply a wash of Carbon Black around to give a more aged look to the canvas, let dry well, add black jute near the bottom
  • Place an 8" x 10" piece of black cardstock in a dark frame, attach the canvas with ZipDry
  • Apply Copper Paste along parts of the frame, add the enamels, heat set
  • Embellish with buttons or charms, I made the buttons darker by wiping some Carbon Black into the patterned brass areas and wiping off the excess
Notice that where there is only a thin layer of Copper paste and no enamels the stamping still shows through

The light wash of black helped create shadows around the buttons

It's a great addition to my Craft Room!



Follow these two great companies on Facebook!



Tip: The MEDIA fluid acrylics are great for tinting embossing pastes. Just use a tiny bit!



And, in case you've missed any of this week, here are the earlier links!



Monday




Tuesday

Wednesday


You won't want to miss the big finale tomorrow!

Happy Creating,
Louise

52 comments:

A Pink said...

What a fabulous striking piece of framed wall art . Love the rich warming colours, texture and detail of the focal panel and frame really captures the eye with the detail metallic corners x

LynzCraftz said...

Great project, love the copper look!

Bunny said...

Very nice. I think the quinacridone gold is so pretty on this.

Robin said...

So gorgeous! I would love to have this on my wall! Hugs, Robin

P Beatty said...

By far, my favorite! Love the colors.

D.Ann C said...

Amazeballs! Love the gorgeous piece and the fab frame!!

Salnclts said...

Beautiful!! I just saw Ann's comment above & had a feeling of de ja vu! "Amazeballs" popped in my head this morning in the same tone as typed & I thought, "Where did that come from?" Just had to share!

Pam Hornschu said...

This is gorgeous, Louise! Love how you built up the color and texture, and the corners of that frame!

Unknown said...

Absolutely SPECTACULAR Louise. First off, the frame - wow - you accented it just perfectly for the style of your painting inside. And Wow - what a FABULOUSLY STUNNING creation you made. So much STEAMPUNKISH SPLENDOR with all the texture, shimmer, and amazing designs. What a WONDERFUL inspiration for these stamp sets girl. Wow. Thanks bunches for such a great make. j.

P'tite Plume said...

OMG! I would have this magnificent in my room!!!

Lea said...

Beautifully done, as always, Louise! The buttons were the perfect finishing touch! I spy with my little eye an amazing project!

Celia said...

The copper paste on the frame looks amazing!

barbara macaskill said...

I spy with MY little eye a spectacular mixed media creation!! LOVE the frame and the images are gorgeous!!! So in love with this!! tfs!

Jean said...

Such rich colors! Love the texture and all the details!

Judy said...

What a beautiful piece of art. I love all the copper and black elements on it. Thanks for sharing how you put this all together.

NicoleN said...

Love the frame. Good idea for the extra canvases I have at home.

NicoleN said...

Love the frame. Good idea for the extra canvases I have at home.

Monique's art said...

gorgeous love it lots

Stampendous said...

Oh this is a bunch of goodness! Fantastic job with all those amazing layers in paint, stamps and stencils. WOW this is a great addition to your art wall! Thank you for sharing today!

Unknown said...

Simply stunning.

Lieve said...

Great project; warm colours; a beautiful eyecatcher in your craftroom ! Congratulations, and thank you for sharing !

Becca Yahrling said...

Quite stunning work. How cool it would be, too, to make it a real working clock?!

cghundley said...

How cool this looks!
Love the texture.
Carla from Utah

Viki Banaszak said...

That is an awesome piece of artwork!I love the colors and the frame is so awesome with it!

Teresa Godines #6857 said...

Stunning Art. I really love that you painted the frame too. TFS

McStamper said...

Love your amazing and unique art. Thanks for sharing.

Susanne said...

I like your mixed media piece! And the colours are fabulous!

Jane said...

WOw an amazing piece of art, it looks fab on your wall

Tina M. said...

Wauw! Beautiful colors and very clever to paint the frame - looks fantastic.
/Tina M.

Sheryl N said...

Love the copper paste and enamels on frame! Gotta try this.

TangledBlueRose said...

So rich and gorgeous! I love the colors and all the fabulous details. Thanks so much for sharing and inspiring!~kim

Jackie PN said...

Louise,
I absolutely love the gold paste on the corners as well as your use of embossing- I love it!! Beautiful piece!
Jackie ")

Sabrina said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!

~Lady B~ said...

Very cool piece! I adore the colours and textures! I've never tried embossing paste before, but now I think I must buy some and play :)

Angela aka Lady B

Aimee said...

I think this needs to be hanging on my wall!

Kristiina said...

Steampunk is on my todo list :) thanks for the inspiration!

Cocofolies said...

What a great piece of framed wall art, I love your metallic corners and the texture, really gorgeous!! Well deserved to be put in good place your craft room! :) Thanks for sharing.

Arianna Barbara said...

Wow! Stunning project!!!!

Shari said...

Very beautiful. 💗💗💗

Vee said...

Very nice!!!

Akast said...

Your mixed media piece is the bomb! It is actually my favorite out of everybody's posts. The metallic corners on just two of them are super cool and it is just the right thing for the whole piece to shine. It was smart to only use two opposite corners so it doesn't swallow the whole picture up.

Unknown said...

Wonderful project today! Thanks for the tutorial.

Purple Diva 6 said...

Wow !!! Wow !!!! Wow !!!!!!! This is Stunning, by far my absolute favourite of this hop and I also love the treatment you gave to the framing, It has turned this stunning mixed media canvas into a beautiful piece of artwork...Thankyou for sharing with us....

HMax said...

Love the metallic bits and the raised textures! Really nice work!

Unknown said...

Beautiful!!! Would love to hang it in my hall! It would be perfect, which means I MUST make one too! Thanks so much!

Karen Petitt said...

Awesome art! Would happily hang this in my home and it would get pride of place too lol. I am only just starting my mixed media journey and seeing so much wonderful art has my head buzzing with ideas. Thank you for the top notch inspiration, for sharing your gorgeous art with us and the fabulous blog hop Karen x

Suman Pandit said...

gorgeous mixed media creation !!

Rebecca/Sydney's Sentiments said...

I absolutely love this! The frame is amazing and I just love the gears etc. in the steampunk look. I would love to hang this in my house!!!

Mary Holshouser said...

Love the steampunk look.
The way you embellished the corners of the
frame is wonderful.
I'd be thrilled to have this in my house.
thanks for sharing.

Barbara Rankin said...

Love this wall hanging, and the stamps and textures are perfect for your project. Looks great on your wall, too.

Jean Bullock said...

Way cool! I love the panel and also the way you treated the corners of the frame.

Gerrie Johnnic said...

Big smile on my face seeing this hanging on your wall. Absolutely love it! Everything you did went together perfectly to make a stunning piece of art. I really like how you finished the frame........way different......and perfect!